Is a sighthound right for you? It is a good idea to carry out some research on Lurchers, Greyhounds or other sighthounds before you consider adoption. Speak to other sighthound owners. There are many good informative sites on the internet and many excellent books available on Lurchers and other sighthounds. Can you afford to keep another dog? Do you have the time to keep another dog? Do you have any big changes coming up? A house move, change in work hours, or a new baby? Are the whole family in agreement about adopting? If you rent, do you have your landlords permission to have a dog at the property? Do you have any preferences ie Lurcher? Greyhound, Saluki, Whippet or don’t you mind which type of sighthound?
Please Read Before Applying
To be considered to adopt one of our hounds, your garden must be fully secure, fenced to 6 feet or more in height and totally escape-proof. All gates must also be 6 feet in height and secured. Please do not apply if your either your fencing and/or gate is less than 6 feet high unless you are fully prepared to raise it/them to 6 feet or more.
- All potential homes will be subject to a home check.
- We do not home our dogs to families with children under the age of 6 years.
- We cannot give any assurance that any Lurcher SOS dog will have recall and, therefore, be able to be off lead. No Lurcher SOS dog has been tested off lead due to insurance constraints. If keeping an adopted dog on a lead is a problem for you, then do not apply.
- We do ask that you are prepared to travel to meet the dog of your choice in their foster home with any existing dogs. We cannot transport dogs to you.
- All your current dogs must be fully vaccinated and vaccination certificates will need to be produced at your home check.
- All your current dogs must be insured and insurance certificates will need to be produced when you are home checked. Any dog adopted from Lurcher SOS must also be insured within 5 days of adoption.
- We do not home any of our dogs to working (hunting) homes.
- Our dogs will only be placed in homes where they will live inside as part of the family. We will not home where dogs are to be kennelled outside.
- Very few of our dogs are suitable for full time working households. Some older adult dogs that can be homed to working families, (with a dog walker in the middle of the day) still must not be left for longer than 4 hours at a time Young puppies must not be left for any longer than 1 hour at a time.
- All our dogs are vet checked, neutered if possible (or in some cases, adopters will be asked to sign a Neutering Agreement), vaccinated and microchipped, flea treated and wormed before going to their new home.We ask for a minimum adoption donation of £200 which helps towards, but doesn’t cover, these costs.
- Once you have adopted a Lurcher SOS rescue hound, you are not on your own. We are only a phone call away to help with any questions you may have about your new dog.
- You do not have to live in Southern England to adopt a Lurcher SOS dog. We have homed dogs in Lincolnshire, Essex, Hertfordshire, Wales, Scotland, Nottinghamshire and many other counties.
About The Home Check
A home check is nothing to worry about. It will be arranged at a time convenient to you and the home checker. Your home checker will ask you questions about your circumstances and experience with sighthounds; some of this may feel repetitive but it is essential. They will ask you to show them where the dog will be living and will also ask to see the garden. The home checker will check your fences and will see if your garden is safe. The home checker will talk to you about feeding and caring for your dog and they will discuss some health conditions. If you have never owned a sighthound before, try and do some research. We don’t expect you to worry about cleaning or making any special effort for your home check. We want to see you as you normally are.
However, before you have your home check, please make sure that your garden is safe and your fencing is secure and at least 6 feet in height with no holes or gaps.
The home checker will then send all the paperwork back to us and we will review it. We will contact you as soon as possible to let you know if you have passed. We may not have a suitable dog for you at the time of your home check, so please keep an eye on our website and do join our forum for lots more information of dogs coming into our care. You do not need to apply again. When you adopt from us there will be an adoption donation to pay, and you will be asked to sign an Adoption Contract and, in some cases, a Neutering Agreement.
If you would like to enquire about adopting one of our Lurchers or Sighthounds, please complete the Adoption Application below.
PLEASE NOTE: IF YOU HAVE SUBMITTED AN ADOPTION APPLICATION AND HAVE NOT HEARD BACK FROM US WITHIN 7 DAYS, YOUR APPLICATION, UNFORTUNATELY, HAS NOT BEEN SUCCESSFUL.
All adopters must sign an Adoption Contract and agree the Terms and Conditions of adoption.
The Adopter must insure the dog/bitch within 5 days of adoption.
Lurcher SOS asks for a minimum Adoption Donation of £200. This donation helps us in our ever ongoing rescue and homing of lurchers, greyhounds and other sighthounds in need.
All Adoption Donations are non refundable and are a Donation and not a Purchase of said dog/bitch.
All un-neutered dogs/bitches will be subject to the Adopter signing a Neutering Agreement.
A copy of this Agreement must be returned to Lurcher SOS, signed by your veterinary surgeon or practice, once this has been done.